Scientist I - Assay Development; Testing Platform
Debut is the unconventional innovation lab spearheading the next generation of big business. Only Debut has a scalable, integrated, climate-positive creation model powered by biotechnology that puts human wellbeing at the center of everything we do—setting the new standard for profitable business and a new pace for an ever-changing world. Our hybrid biotechnology approaches unlock latent markets, providing access to sustainably produced, natural ingredients with health benefits that cannot be obtained through other methods. We are committed to traversing the entire process, from ingredient discovery to the scaling of these products, for consumer markets. If you are passionate, enjoy fast-paced innovation and collaborative teams, then Debut is for you.
As a member of the Testing Platform team, you will work to design and validate assays to characterize novel skincare ingredients. This successful candidate will work collaboratively with the formulation team to identify unique target claims for skincare, develop robust assays to support characterization of novel small molecules, and execute in vitro screening to understand mechanisms of action. This is a highly collaborative role that will interact with formulation, bioinformatics, and brands teams in bringing novel, scientifically backed ingredients to market.
- Work to design, develop, test, and validate experiments to evaluate functionality of Debut’s ingredients in appropriate model systems (primary cells, co-cultures, 3D models).
- Execute and optimize existing assays to rapidly screen ingredients of interest.
- Identify new target areas and novel assays to further expand ingredient screening capabilities.
- Analyze and report data to cross-functional stakeholders.
- Work closely with formulation team to determine ingredient use parameters and to inform clinical design.
Education and Experience
- BS/MS degree in biological sciences with 3-5 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in mammalian cell culture and assay development
- Proficiency in cell biology techniques, e.g. fluorescent imaging, reporter assays, ELISA.
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DoE) a plus
- Experience with cosmetic active ingredients highly desired.
Essential Physical Characteristics
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
- Continuous upward and downward flexion of the neck.
- Frequent: sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers and copiers.
- Frequently uses hands to feel objects or control tools (e.g. pipetting). Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- Occasional: walking, standing, climbing stairs, bending and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, and occasional lifting and carrying of files or material weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
Condition of Employment
As part of Debut’s pre-employment process, prospective candidates will undergo a background check prior to beginning employment. Additional types of background investigations may be conducted based on the job-related activities of the position.
Debut is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Salary: $85k - $115k per year