Research Associate, Fermentation
Debut Biotechnology is seeking a Research Associate to aid in microbial fermentation processes for small molecule production. This individual should be versed in fermentation science and have a basic understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism, and biosynthetic pathways. The ideal candidate would be an energetic, adaptive, creative, and highly self-motivated individual who enjoys undertaking complex challenges both individually and as part of a team. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, chemists, and engineers and will be directly responsible for bench-scale bioreactor operation and small molecule product analysis. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are essential due to the highly collaborative nature of the position.
- Design and execution of fermentation experiments across multiple volumes
- Optimization of fermentation operations by controlling numerous parameters
- Maintenance of bench-scale bioreactors
- Preparation of media, buffers, and chemical solutions
- Product sampling and chemical/microbiological analysis
- Bioreactor and laboratory material cleaning and sterilization
- Data processing and statistical analysis to maximize understanding of strain performance
- High throughput experiment optimization across multiple reaction volumes
- Evening/nights and weekend work may be required on occasions
Education and Experience
- BS in biotechnology, microbiology, or fermentation with a minimum of 2 years of microbiology lab experience
- Attention to detail and meticulous record keeping
- Intermediate/advanced Excel skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
- Experience with small molecule fermentation via genetically engineered organisms is a plus
- Experience applying molecular biology techniques is a plus
- Experience using statistical software to analyze large datasets is a plus
- Experience understanding and running advanced experimental designs is a plus
- Experience interpreting fermentation’s product and byproduct results is a plus
Essential Physical Characteristics
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
- Continuous upward and downward flexion of the neck.
- Frequent: sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers and copiers.
- Frequently uses hands to feel objects or control tools (e.g. pipetting). Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- Occasional: walking, standing, climbing stairs, bending and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, and occasional lifting and carrying of files or material weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
Condition of Employment
As part of Debut’s pre-employment process, prospective candidates will undergo a background check prior to beginning employment. Additional types of background investigations may be conducted based on the job-related activities of the position.
Debut is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Pay Range: $26.44-36.06/ hourly