Senior Controls and Automation Engineer
Meati Foods is a fast-growing food company with fermentation and food manufacturing at the core of our business. We are hiring a Senior Controls Engineer to support our growth in food manufacturing with process controls, equipment automation, process data collection/historization, and capital project controls and instrumentation support. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be a key member of the Controls & Automation team to support the rapid growth of the company.
- Serves as technical lead for plant power and control systems and is a key member of Controls & Automation team.
- Works with the site Controls and Automation Manager to develop power, control standards, and ensure application of the standards in their area of responsibility.
- Knows, communicates, and ensures technician compliance to local and national regulator codes (NFPA 70, NFPA 70e, NFPA 79 and OSHA 1910). Ensure equipment and safe practice compliance in their area of responsibility.
- Provides expertise in the design and implementation of controls and process automation applications, such as: control strategies, HMI design, and MES applications.
- Owns parts or whole Key Elements for systems related to power and control system such as electrical safety (LOTO, Electrical PPE, Energized work permits, low voltage qualification, etc.) and Quality/CCP compliance (check weighers, metal detectors, ingredient flows, temperatures, etc.).
- Works closely with engineering and operations leaders on selection and installation/start-up of new equipment. Becomes the technical expert on new equipment and ensures the training of others about control systems.
- Serves as project manager for initiatives ranging from E&I focused projects to complete capital projects.
- Provides power and controls engineering support on capital initiatives in their area of responsibility.
- Learns and applies advance control, simulation, and process modeling technologies to analyze and improve overall process and packaging operations.
- Apply sound controls and automation principles to food manufacturing processes and equipment selection.
- Specify and design instrumentation & controls and provides training to operators on new and existing processes and equipment.
- Develop cost justifications, scope, schedule, and budget estimates for new process controls and automation projects.
- Execute controls system commissioning activities, including onsite field engineering at new production facilities, new system validation and checkout, and the development of standard operating procedures.
- Prepare Best Value Option Analysis (BVOA) to compare solutions, cost for best value, and provide recommendations to project teams.
- Interface with Project Managers and/or contractors, vendors, and maintenance to ensure installation and completion of capital projects.
- Review, mark up, and approve drawings and other technical documentation for process systems.
- Develop Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) planning and executes successful FAT.
- Provide field installation supervision, leads commissioning, and field troubleshooting during startup phase.
- Identify and resolve technical problems.
- Communicate project status throughout the organization.
- Develop and execute IQ, OQ, PQ with project team during installation, commissioning, qualification, and verification project phases.
- Add value by influencing through innovation and continuous improvement.
- Identify, develop, and implement process improvement projects to increase productivity, reliability, sustainability, and cost reduction.
- Support a High-Performance Organization (HPO) environment by utilizing a total team approach to process improvements.
What you will bring
- Bachelors of Science in electrical engineering or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years’ experience in the food and beverage or biopharma manufacturing industry or similar as a controls engineer.
- Controls Software; Studio 5000, FactoryTalk View (SE, ME), RS Linx, FT Linx, AssetCentre, ControlFlash + , FT Activation Manager, FT Admin Console, FT VantagePoint, FT Security, System Explorer, PlantPax 5.0, Thin Manager, Active Directory, PI Historian, SQL, Moneo, LR Device, Connected Components Workbench, vSphere.
- Common field devices/instruments – Control Valves, Level, Pressure, Temperature, Flow, pH, Dissolved O2, Turbidity, Conductivity, and Position sensors.
- Motor Control – Knowledge of PowerFlex 525 & 755 VFD’s, disconnects w/aux contacts, circuit breakers, fuses, EMC filter.
- Ability to configure Stratix 5700, IFM IO-Link, IFM AS-i 3.0 Gateways.
- Ability to read and update electrical and control schematics.
- Ability to read Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams.
- Ability to effectively engage, lead, and build capability on the floor.
- Excellent people skills with the ability to work and manage within a team environment.
- Experience learning and integrating innovative technologies.
- Experience leading the installation of equipment in food manufacturing environment.
- Initiative-taking and able to motivate others.
- Strong organizational, critical thinking, and critical thinking skills.
- Effective presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite applications.
- Proficient in Windows Server 2019 Datacenter.
- Some travel may be required for plant support.
- Willingness to work off-shifts or weekends as needed.
- Must be open to 20% - 25% travel.
Range is $94,000 - $125,000, including a potential annual bonus equity. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
Additional Information & Requirements:
This is a full time regular position based out of our manufacturing facility in Thornton, Colorado.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance at no cost to the employee (for employee-only coverage)
- 401K with company match
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and Floating Holidays
- Monthly reimbursements for personal health and wellness expenses
- Mental health programs at no cost
- Parental Leave, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability coverage, and AD&D
Equal Employment Opportunity: Eat Meati™ is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Eat Meati™
Based in Boulder, Colorado, Eat Meati™ is on a mission to build Good Energy™ from the ground up. We work closely with Mother Nature to cultivate the complete protein she intended — one that’s been the root of our living world for millennia. We’re connecting and empowering eaters everywhere to evolve energetically. We believe food should be simple, clean, and of course, delicious, which is why grow and nourish our mushroom root to create nutrient-rich, whole food protein everyone can enjoy. Get to know more about Meati™ at meati.com.
Our team is passionate about making the world a better place through good health and wellness, positive climate impact, and equitable access to nutrition around the world. This passion translates into the culture of our office, making Eat Meati™ a lively, enjoyable, innovative, and inclusive place to work. This is an exciting time to be a part of the Meati™ team and the growing plant-based meat category..